Here are just a couple of skin facts dealing with numbers—very large numbers.
- Our skin continually sloughs off, so much so that every 4-6 weeks we get a completely fresh layer of outer skin.
- We lose about 30,000 – 40,000 skin cells every hour.
- This equates to approximately 1.5 pounds of skin per year, or
- 105 pounds of lost skin by age 70.
- Up to 70% of the dust in your home comes from . . . you guessed it: dead skin.
- Globally, dead skin accounts for about a billion tons of dust in the atmosphere.
I don’t know who did the math on these facts, but I tried to choose snippets from scientific sources on the Internet. Believe them or don’t—they are fascinating numbers relative to an amazing organ–our skin. Take good care of yours this weekend!